How you will make a difference
Join the team of successful structures which have won a number of awards including the ICE South West Community Award 2019 and the IHE South West Large Project of the Year 2018 for the major renovation and improvement of the Bromley Viaduct Heath. The Structures team manages the freeway and open space structures and you will be a senior member of the team, managing and supervising the project teams relating to the inspection, assessment, reinforcement, replacement and the design of new structures.
You will work on an array of prestigious projects and programs that will provide you with variety and new challenges in your role that you will find difficult to match elsewhere.
This Senior Engineer position is focused on asset management and inspections, however there will be plenty of opportunities to work across all functions of the team to maintain your professional development and contribute to the development and improvement of policies and procedures. In this essential role, you will support the continued development of our long-term asset management strategy, our work programs and, where appropriate, work with our neighboring local authorities of the Combined Authority of the West of the ‘England.
What are you going to do
- As a senior team member, you will manage and supervise project teams relating to the inspection, assessment, reinforcement, replacement and design of new structures.
- You will also be responsible for managing the technical approval process related to highway and open space structures, whether proposed by third parties or internal teams.
- In the role, you will formulate and manage the main, general and dive / confined space inspection program using our internal team and external consultants and specialists as required
- You will develop lifecycle plans for individual structures and groups of structures, defining intervention levels to get the most out of our budget allocations
- It will be up to you to produce a heritage assessment of the asset base of our structures in accordance with CIPFA guidelines.
- You are expected to develop prioritized maintenance activity schedules and supervise team members as they specify and implement maintenance work.
- You will maintain and improve our structural asset management software system in collaboration with our supplier
What we need from you
- You must have a degree in a discipline related to civil engineering, with substantial relevant post-qualification experience in the design of highway structures and open spaces
- We require that you be a member (Chartered Engineer or Incorporated) of an appropriate professional institution, demonstrating a commitment to personal continuing professional development and an NVQ L4 in management or an equivalent level of knowledge and experience.
- You will have in-depth knowledge of the Road and Bridge Design Manual, the Manual of Contract Documents for Road Works and Eurocode Standards
- You must have a Bridge Inspector’s Certification with Lantra or similar program to demonstrate your skills and experience in inspecting structures under construction to ensure they conform to approved drawings / designs / specifications . You will also prove that you have written complex technical reports for stakeholders and members, as well as significant knowledge and experience in using NEC contracts.
- You will need significant knowledge and experience with CDM regulations and the production of documents required to ensure that we meet our obligations and experience in producing (and overseeing the production) of documents. required for the technical approval process.
- We require that you have experience in preparing and managing inspection programs, leading inspection teams and specialist consultants / contractors as needed
- You are expected to have experience in life cycle planning and asset valuation of road structures and experience in the use and development of specialized structural asset management software such as AMX
- It is essential that you have experience coordinating projects and implementing programs to achieve clearly defined results and producing prioritized maintenance programs for a structure inventory to optimize resources.
- You will have a demonstrable experience of relations with agencies and external partners to ensure the maintenance and strengthening of existing structures
- Good level of computer knowledge and be able to demonstrate excellent skills with software such as Superstress, Advance Design, TEDDS, Scale, AMX, Autocad, Mapinfo and Microsoft Office products
- Relevant health and safety training, such as confined space training, work at height training, IOSH certification
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team works best when they have a balance in their life, and we offer true flexibility to help them achieve that work / life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognized for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offering, which contributes to making the biggest long-term difference in the job.
Our South Gloucestershire Council teams are making a real difference in the lives of the people who live, work and learn here.
- We build and shape communities people are proud of
- We work with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We have accomplished a lot, but we need talented and dedicated people to continue to make a difference.
We are making a difference, be part of it!