Water mite caught the 1st of May 2012 in a natural pond in Cerfontaine (Belgium). Length 1280 µm and width : 1050 µm.
Log of my attempt to identify this water mite.
Arrenurus female are much harder to identify than their male counterpart. In Viets (1936) I found a lot of plates to help to identify this one.
Here are some possibilities provided by Viets with the size given by Viets and some observations about the drawing given.
- Arrenurus radiatus 1400:1100 P459. Acetabular plates too large.
- Arrenurus curvisetus 1200:930 P461. Genital plate too narrow ?
- Arrenurus membranator 900 P465. Drawing not very precise.
- Arrenurus mülleri 960-1000:750 P466. Anchoral process of first pair of coxa.
- Arrenurus nobilis 1600:1230 P466. Genital plates with and angle, first pair of coxae more narrow.
- Arrenurus buccinator 1300 P467. Anchoral process of first pair of coxa. (to double check ?)
- Arrenurus papillator 1900:1600 P467. Angle in genital plate, posterior of first coxa.
- Arrenurus pugionifer 1000:800 P468. Third pair of coxa too narrow.
- Arrenurus bifidicolus 1000 P469. First pair of coxa.
- Arrenurus fasciolatus 1060:945 P469. Almost a perfect match (except tht mine is much larger). The genital plates are maybe a little bit too large ?
Note : I give up for the identification of this Arrenurus.
- Viets, K. (1936). VII : Wassermilben oder Hydracarina. Tierwelt Deutschlands.